September 8, 2013

9.1 // Sometimes I'm organized


// Confession: Sometimes I'm organized.

Not always, but as I have gotten older there are a few disciplines that not only benefit me but actually make my life easier. Meal prep is one of them. I am a pretty health conscious girl. I like to eat well and work out 4 morning's a week before work. This means I have to have breakfast (the MOST important meal of the day--I wouldn't attempt to make it through a work day without it), lunch, snacks, and water all set to go so I can jet out the door by 6:30 AM.

This means Sunday's are my meal prep days. Since I'm already in the kitchen making a mess, I normally just go right ahead and make some dinner's for the week as well. I don't pretend to be a gourmet cook--I like simple, flavorful, and easy. I, like many ladies, am a Pinterest lover for this very reason. Also like many, I have pinned recipes unsure that they're actually good. So here is my, "I actually tried them, and they're yummy" recipe suggestions.

Mexican Salad


This isn't from a Pinterest recipe, I sorta just made this up. Anyone that knows me knows I'm all about mason jar salads. They're my go-to work meal. This one is perfect with a side of tortilla chips. Layer (starting from the bottom) Salsa, chopped red onion, green pepper, red pepper, corn, black beans, and avocado. Don't forget a little salt, pepper, lime juice and cilantro; season to taste. Refrigerate and when you're ready to eat, simply give it a little shake.

Crunchy Apple Chips



I was convinced by the guy at the farmer's market to buy this basket of apples. Which of course I got home and had no idea what to do with them, so I decided to try this recipe for Apple Chips. These are so good and easy. Simply, set oven to 225 degrees F, mix some brown sugar, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Slice the apples thin (I highly recommend using a mandolin), and use spoon to apply sugar mix (as little or as much as you want-- they don't need a lot, these flavors go a long way). Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Place apple slices on, and let them cook for 1 hour, then flip and cook for another hour. Let cool and store in an air tight container.

Baked Apple-Cranberry Oatmeal

To use up more apples, I wanted to make something I could eat for breakfast so I adapted this recipe for healthy baked oatmeal.

2 1/4 cups of oats
1/2 cup of applesauce
1 tbsp flax meal (optional)
1 scoop of protein powder (I use  RAW protein)
1 tbsp honey
1 cup of chopped apples
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 1/4 cups almond milk
1/4 c dried cranberries (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a medium bowl, mix all dry ingredients first, then add remaining. Evenly distribute batter into a greased cucpcake pan. Bake for 20-25 min. Super simple and really good. I nook them for 15 seconds in the microwave at work; perfect coffee sidekick.


I may not have it all together but this is a small discipline that has made my life so much easier.//

1 comment:

armrd said...

Hi Lauren!
I have known your blog from your instagram account.
I really enjoy reading your honest writings.
Would love to try this recipe soon! Never thought of combining cranberries and apples together.
:)
Have a great week ahead.

Lia