March 28, 2013

3.5 // Sometimes I surprise myself



// Confession: Sometimes I surprise myself

Every once in a while I get a craving for something sort of out of the ordinary. Recently, the haunting came from the desire for a crab cake. Having a wheat/gluten intolerance sort of eliminates an enormous catagory of  food from my life; one which largely encompasses anything delicious. Crab cakes are out of the picture for two reasons, 1. I can't have bread crumbs 2. I hate mayonnaise.

So I scoured the internet for gluten free recipes determined to fulfill this craving with little luck. If it was gluten free, it had mayo and if it had no mayo it had bread crumbs or other unappealing fillers. I decided to 'wing it' after getting an idea of how to make them from the recipes I read. Based on my previous cooking ideas this was not a route that guaranteed success, however I went for it anyway. The result was not a failure though, in fact they were pretty darn amazing if I do say so myself. Give my healthier version of crabcakes a try, see what ya think, they might surprise you.

Gluten Free Crab Cakes


1/4 c Celery
1/4 c Onion
3/4 c Rice Crispy Cereal
2 tbsp brown rice flour

1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 cayenne
1/4 parsley

1 egg
1 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp almond or coconut milk
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
8 oz. Crab meat.
1/4 cup shredded cheese
2 tbsp grapeseed oil (for frying)

Mix all of the dry ingredients in a medium bowl.  In another bowl beat egg, oil, mustard, and milk until mixed well. Combine ingredients, adding crab and cheese. Shape into three patties; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes.

Heat about 2 tbsp grapeseed oil (any kind of oil it fine) in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the crab cakes until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side.



Mine may have not looked perfect but they tasted delicious. It was such a treat to be able to enjoy something I normally would have to skip out on, plus there was a bit of extra satisfaction in 'winging' a surprisingly successful recipe. 

Download this recipe in a printable version here

Gluten free never tasted so good. //




No comments: