April 14, 2013

4.5 // I wish I could save the world [guest post]




Guest post by Diana Humphries

\\ Confession: I wish I could save the world.

Most of the time my head can't keep up with my heart's ideas. I wish I could be a super hero mixed with Peter Pan and a sprinkle of Princess dust. I want to save the world, feed the poor, and look pretty doing it.
I just want to make a difference in any and every way I can. I don't want to get to The Gates upstairs and have God ask me why I didn't help the people He placed around me. 


God has given me a heart for many things, especially the homeless.  When it comes to those in need of food and shelter I cannot help but wish I could magically solve their problems.


I'm realizing more and more that sometimes it's not about the 99 sheep but the 1 lost one. There's always debate about giving food or money to the people standing on street corners with signs that say "homeless please help". My heart breaks when I make eye contact and see the hurt in these individuals faces. 


Recently, I noticed a man in an old white van every day at the beach across the street from my house. After seeing him several days in a row I figured out that he lives in the van with his dog. He looks as though he hasn't showered in weeks, let alone been fed a good meal. I am beyond blessed to say that I honestly don't know what that feels like.  


This past Easter, my fiancé and I went for a walk on the beach in between our two family dinners--where we had way too much food--and saw him again. We decided to go back and make an "Easter Basket" for him. We filled it with muffins, ham, candy, water, drinks, dog treats (of course), and a few other goodies.
Dropping it off was the best part. He was tearful in his thank you. The smile he gave was unforgettable. Needless to say I've gone back a few times now with more homemade meals. 


I don't have a lot of money, not by a long stretch. Most of the time I'm barely making my bills. But I do trust that Jesus is ALWAYS faithful and ALWAYS good.  He has provided in ways I never thought possible, which in turn gives me opportunities to bless others in His name. I know that I cannot feed all the hungry people in this world but maybe for now it's just about this one. If Jesus went after one lost sheep, maybe that's what he wants me to do too. I guess that's the result of the prayer I've been praying the last couple years..."Jesus, break my heart for what breaks yours". 



I may not be able to save the world but I know a Man who came to die, and He did just that.//

____________
Special thanks to my beautiful best friend and God-given sister, Diana, for sharing her heart. I am blessed to have a friend who loves, challenges, and encourages me daily--even from a distance.
Don't forget to link up or comment this Tuesday with Spring Things to be eligible for the giveaway, and come back for simple ways you can serve others on Thursday. Have a blessed week my friends! 

2 comments:

Memaw said...

Diana....thanks for your open heart and thank you Lauren for sharing! may all our prayers be "break my heart for what breaks yours"!!!

Gretchen Moran said...

Sooooo Diana to bring me to tears. You shine so brightly everyday, and always look beautiful doing it:)

So glad that God saw fit to bring you into our lives. Looking forward to reading more, sweet girl:)