January 30, 2013

1.8 //I have a wicked sweet tooth

Confessionofmywanderingheart

//Confession:  I have a wicked sweet tooth.

When it comes to cookies, cakes, candy, chocolate--all your basic food groups-- I'm in. Taste-tester extraordinaire. Unfortunately, in the course of the last two years, stomach issues have caused me to have to eliminate wheat and gluten from my diet. So basically eliminating the ability to enjoy the majority of the foods listed above. Sad day.

Anyone who knows me, knows not only am I fiend for sweets but I love breakfast. Wake up and it is the first thing on my mind. Pathetic, but true. I am currently however on a healthy kick. I have a 6:15 AM gym routine before work and miss my drawn out mornings of coffee and eggs. To substitute I have come up with a quick and delicious solution. Healthy breakfast cookies. Who would've thought it would be possible to put those three words in the same sentence and it actually taste delish.

I adapted this recipe from an awesome foodie blog to make it gluten free and added a boost with my raw protein and chunked up the texture with a few of my favorite add-ins. I pop a couple of these on the way to gym and they do the trick. So yummy. Feel free to get creative with yours.

Gluten-Free Breakfast Cookies


Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a mini muffin tray (a regular muffin tin works too).
In a medium bowl, combine:
2.5 cups gluten-free organic oats
1.5 cups of crushed cinnamon Chex cereal 
2 tablespoons organic protein (I use RAW garden of life, vanilla chai)
2 tablespoons cinnamon
1/2 c of sweetened coconut
1/2 c of sliced almonds (or any crush nut of your choice)
1/2 c of raisins (or dried cranberries)

Mix well and set aside.



In a large bowl, combine:
1/2 c greek organic yogurt 
1/2 c applesauce
1.5 mashed ripe banana 
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 c honey
1/2 cup almond milk 

Mix Well.

Add:
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
Gradually mix dry ingredients in, until combined. 
Lastly, fold in:
1/2 c of sliced almonds 
1/2 c of raisins 

Spoon into mini muffin pan to top (if using regular muffin pan, fill about half way)

Bake for 15-18 minutes. 



Click here for a printable version with extra hints and alternatives.

Happy baking //


No comments: